After joining one of the most recognized labels in all of hip-hop, your first single has to be something spectacular—even biblical. Fittingly then, My God is Clipse founder Pusha T’s first solo effort since signing to Yeezy’s G.O.O.D. Music last September. Respecting G.O.O.D’s signature vintage sound, producer Hit-Boy crafts a beat complete with warm brass sections and colorful organ licks. The beat chugs along to a military-style drum cadence as Pusha talks himself up, awed by his own talent: “Bear with me as I unveil this instant classic / yes, my God.” As mentioned, the song “chugs,” and whether it was Pusha’s unchanging flow (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing) or the overall tempo, I found my attention drifting off at times. Then again, I could just need a Riddlin re-up. As always, we’ll let the Booth debate the quality of God, our first glimpse into the VA emcee’s upcoming project Fear of God, dropping soon. It’s no doubt a good look to be a part of Kanye’s dream squad, brushing shoulders with Cudi and Big Sean, but I wouldn’t start using the lord’s name in vain just yet.
Written by CourtlandHH on 02/14/11
G.O.O.D Music/Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Back In The Go Go ft. Bun B, Pusha T & Tre (from UCB)" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.