After joining one of the most recognized labels in all of hip-hop, your first single has to be something spectacular—even biblical. Fittingly then, My God is Clipse founder Pusha T’s first solo effort since signing to Yeezy’s G.O.O.D. Music last September. Respecting G.O.O.D’s signature vintage sound, producer Hit-Boy crafts a beat complete with warm brass sections and colorful organ licks. The beat chugs along to a military-style drum cadence as Pusha talks himself up, awed by his own talent: “Bear with me as I unveil this instant classic / yes, my God.” As mentioned, the song “chugs,” and whether it was Pusha’s unchanging flow (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing) or the overall tempo, I found my attention drifting off at times. Then again, I could just need a Riddlin re-up. As always, we’ll let the Booth debate the quality of God, our first glimpse into the VA emcee’s upcoming project Fear of God, dropping soon. It’s no doubt a good look to be a part of Kanye’s dream squad, brushing shoulders with Cudi and Big Sean, but I wouldn’t start using the lord’s name in vain just yet.
Written by CourtlandHH on 02/14/11
Submit your Rating
G.O.O.D Music/Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Back In The Go Go ft. Bun B, Pusha T & Tre (from UCB)" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.