An up-and-coming emcee who more than lives up to his troublemaking TV namesake, Pugslee Atomz has teamed up with fellow Chi-town native and veteran beatsmith Anton Genius to let all those who think they’ve got it poppin’ that They Ain’t. Flexing his slow flow in two big-talking verses, Pugs makes it clear that, whether you’re talking about cash, jewels, or woman, he’s got the best of the best. Though the subject matter’s nothing too surprising, the rapper’s cocky, every-so-slightly snide delivery, along with a few clever turns of phrase (“I been grindin’, like hashish in a jar/ Her mind’s open, her brain’s got me ajar.”) make the record an entertaining listen, and Genius’ sludgy synth-bass boardwork proves the perfect complement to Pugs’ nonchalant brand of braggadocio. For more from Anton Genius, check out the beatsmith’s forthcoming collaboration album, In Genius They Trust (due out soon), and watch for Atomz’ contribution to our exclusive freestyle series to hit our front page sometime next month.
Written by richard on 04/29/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.