An up-and-coming emcee who more than lives up to his troublemaking TV namesake, Pugslee Atomz has teamed up with fellow Chi-town native and veteran beatsmith Anton Genius to let all those who think they’ve got it poppin’ that They Ain’t. Flexing his slow flow in two big-talking verses, Pugs makes it clear that, whether you’re talking about cash, jewels, or woman, he’s got the best of the best. Though the subject matter’s nothing too surprising, the rapper’s cocky, every-so-slightly snide delivery, along with a few clever turns of phrase (“I been grindin’, like hashish in a jar/ Her mind’s open, her brain’s got me ajar.”) make the record an entertaining listen, and Genius’ sludgy synth-bass boardwork proves the perfect complement to Pugs’ nonchalant brand of braggadocio. For more from Anton Genius, check out the beatsmith’s forthcoming collaboration album, In Genius They Trust (due out soon), and watch for Atomz’ contribution to our exclusive freestyle series to hit our front page sometime next month.
Written by richard on 04/29/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.