Ever popped a brand new CD into the stereo for the first time, only to realize that you’d been duped into dropping 17 bucks on an LP featuring two decent cuts and a metric crapton of filler? Of course you have. Pugs Atomz can relate – on mixtape leak Listen to My Album, making its world premiere right here in the Booth, the Chi-town native and Gent$ member describes that very scenario over the minimal, sample-driven boardwork of Dirty Dunnz, and takes pains to set himself apart from the rap game’s all-too-numerous hacks: “The difference between us: I’m a doer, you’re a try-er…. listen to my album, words to inspire.” Will Pugs succeed in bucking the unfortunate trend he describes here, and maintain this level of dopeness throughout his next street release? It seems likely, but we won’t find out for sure till May 24, when his Fakeshoredrive, Fatbeats, CoalMine Music, Inc. and DJBooth.net-presented Kinda Like a Mixtape will be available from our frontpage for the low, low price of free.
Written by richard on 05/12/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"They Ain't" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.