Last year, John West parted ways with Def Jam to pursue success on the indie tip. And that’s not the only big change he’s experienced since last we featured him; he’s also chosen to embark on the latest chapter of his career under a new stage name. Now known as Public School, the Los Angeles buzzmaker reintroduces himself to our pages with freshly-minted promo single Don’t Wake Me Up. As usual, the singer/songwriter makes it impossible to consign him to a single genre. The instrumental backdrop, a spare, ragged bassline without accompanying percussion, has an indie-rock flavor, while the artist’s passionate, Autotune-tinged vocal performance pushes the record closer to pop. Whatever you call it, though, it’s a damn good listen. If you’re feeling it, then stay tuned; Public School has yet to announce any forthcoming projects, but we’ll keep you posted on his plans as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 01/12/14
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)