Last year, John West parted ways with Def Jam to pursue success on the indie tip. And that’s not the only big change he’s experienced since last we featured him; he’s also chosen to embark on the latest chapter of his career under a new stage name. Now known as Public School, the Los Angeles buzzmaker reintroduces himself to our pages with freshly-minted promo single Don’t Wake Me Up. As usual, the singer/songwriter makes it impossible to consign him to a single genre. The instrumental backdrop, a spare, ragged bassline without accompanying percussion, has an indie-rock flavor, while the artist’s passionate, Autotune-tinged vocal performance pushes the record closer to pop. Whatever you call it, though, it’s a damn good listen. If you’re feeling it, then stay tuned; Public School has yet to announce any forthcoming projects, but we’ll keep you posted on his plans as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 01/12/14
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)