Bringing up The Abortion Debate in mixed company is the social equivalent of blithely tossing a hand grenade into a crowded room. It’s just that touchy, so I’m going to leave it to someone else to pull the pin (or not). Pretty much anything said on the subject carries controversial implications, and [Proverb.] the Poet’s first Booth feature is no exception—nonetheless. M(other) Like You finds the SoCal up-and-comer focused less on the moral/legal debate and more on the (in this case, long-lasting) emotional fallout of an unwanted pregnancy’s termination. Over a soulful, lushly-sampled beat by veteran DJ Jazzy Jay, the underground emcee/punctuation-maverick tells the story of a man and a woman both haunted by thoughts of a child they’ll never get to watch grow up. [P.]tP’s rhymes are eloquent and thought-provoking, but those who simply want to “space out and vibe” will find a lot to like in the wistful, old-school beat and Chipmunk hook. Those who appreciate this hip-hop Poet’s heartfelt take on a delicate issue can hear more on [For the Kids.] available now in stores and online.
Listen to More: [Proverb.] the Poet Written by richard
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.