Bringing up The Abortion Debate in mixed company is the social equivalent of blithely tossing a hand grenade into a crowded room. It’s just that touchy, so I’m going to leave it to someone else to pull the pin (or not). Pretty much anything said on the subject carries controversial implications, and [Proverb.] the Poet’s first Booth feature is no exception—nonetheless. M(other) Like You finds the SoCal up-and-comer focused less on the moral/legal debate and more on the (in this case, long-lasting) emotional fallout of an unwanted pregnancy’s termination. Over a soulful, lushly-sampled beat by veteran DJ Jazzy Jay, the underground emcee/punctuation-maverick tells the story of a man and a woman both haunted by thoughts of a child they’ll never get to watch grow up. [P.]tP’s rhymes are eloquent and thought-provoking, but those who simply want to “space out and vibe” will find a lot to like in the wistful, old-school beat and Chipmunk hook. Those who appreciate this hip-hop Poet’s heartfelt take on a delicate issue can hear more on [For the Kids.] available now in stores and online.
Listen to More: [Proverb.] the Poet
Written by richard on 08/17/09
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.