Bringing up The Abortion Debate in mixed company is the social equivalent of blithely tossing a hand grenade into a crowded room. It’s just that touchy, so I’m going to leave it to someone else to pull the pin (or not). Pretty much anything said on the subject carries controversial implications, and [Proverb.] the Poet’s first Booth feature is no exception—nonetheless. M(other) Like You finds the SoCal up-and-comer focused less on the moral/legal debate and more on the (in this case, long-lasting) emotional fallout of an unwanted pregnancy’s termination. Over a soulful, lushly-sampled beat by veteran DJ Jazzy Jay, the underground emcee/punctuation-maverick tells the story of a man and a woman both haunted by thoughts of a child they’ll never get to watch grow up. [P.]tP’s rhymes are eloquent and thought-provoking, but those who simply want to “space out and vibe” will find a lot to like in the wistful, old-school beat and Chipmunk hook. Those who appreciate this hip-hop Poet’s heartfelt take on a delicate issue can hear more on [For the Kids.] available now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 08/17/09
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)