Hennepin County, what up! While rap has a long and illustrious tradition of hometown, state and regional pride, it’s relatively rare that an emcee shows love to his or her County. Here to buck this trend is
Prince George’s County, Maryland representer Pro’Verb, with the latest leak off his Booth-sponsored street release. Here, Kokayi‘s sparse, funky bass riff and rolling percussion set the mood for an edu-taining tour of the P.G. The headliner keeps it real, waxing poetic about the female residents of “Pretty Girl County” while expressing some ambivalence about the area’s music scene and socioeconomic status: “Everybody rap, at least it seem like it / Richest black county, but it don’t seem like it.” Assisting on the guest tip, K.T. paints a more pessimistic picture of the opportunities offered to P.G. youth (”Marco Polo my ass, nobody ever felt for me.”), and D.C. Don Juan brings the record home with a closing 16 that drips with local color:”Shout to Landover, shout-out Temp Hills / I sell music for a living, shout to Kemp Mills.” Has this P.G. anthem left you craving more from Pro’Verb? You’ll find what you seek on the emcee’s While You’re Waiting… mixtape, available here for free streaming and download.
Written by richard on 09/14/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Too Hip-Hop" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.