Hennepin County, what up! While rap has a long and illustrious tradition of hometown, state and regional pride, it’s relatively rare that an emcee shows love to his or her County. Here to buck this trend is
Prince George’s County, Maryland representer Pro’Verb, with the latest leak off his Booth-sponsored street release. Here, Kokayi‘s sparse, funky bass riff and rolling percussion set the mood for an edu-taining tour of the P.G. The headliner keeps it real, waxing poetic about the female residents of “Pretty Girl County” while expressing some ambivalence about the area’s music scene and socioeconomic status: “Everybody rap, at least it seem like it / Richest black county, but it don’t seem like it.” Assisting on the guest tip, K.T. paints a more pessimistic picture of the opportunities offered to P.G. youth (”Marco Polo my ass, nobody ever felt for me.”), and D.C. Don Juan brings the record home with a closing 16 that drips with local color:”Shout to Landover, shout-out Temp Hills / I sell music for a living, shout to Kemp Mills.” Has this P.G. anthem left you craving more from Pro’Verb? You’ll find what you seek on the emcee’s While You’re Waiting… mixtape, available here for free streaming and download.
Written by richard on 09/14/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Too Hip-Hop" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.