It may not be very reassuring to hear when you’re down, but it’s true: no matter how bad things are, there’s always someone out there who has it worse. Absent since last May’s So Sick freestyle, up-and-coming emcee Prote-J‘s back with a joint that’ll stop even the most strident complainer in mid-gripe. Making its world premiere on our front page, Bigger Things finds the artist working both sides of the boards, cooking up a pensive blend of pensive guitar and distorted vocal samples (shades of MBDTF?), the current Florida resident draws upon his experiences growing up in Papua New Guinea to paint a picture of poverty that will leave beyond what First Worlders have ever experienced: “I’m used to sleepin’ on mats made of coconut leaves, dreamin’ of nightlights that aren’t kerosene lamps.” Difficult as those years were, though, the artist is thankful for having lived through them – while those around him fret over minor inconveniences, he has the will and perspective to keep his eye on the prize at all times. Digging this thought-provoking cut? Bigger Things is just the beginning of the fresh material set to appear on Prote’s Dope Raps & Kit Kats mixtape, due out April 19.
Written by richard on 03/23/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.