It may not be very reassuring to hear when you’re down, but it’s true: no matter how bad things are, there’s always someone out there who has it worse. Absent since last May’s So Sick freestyle, up-and-coming emcee Prote-J‘s back with a joint that’ll stop even the most strident complainer in mid-gripe. Making its world premiere on our front page, Bigger Things finds the artist working both sides of the boards, cooking up a pensive blend of pensive guitar and distorted vocal samples (shades of MBDTF?), the current Florida resident draws upon his experiences growing up in Papua New Guinea to paint a picture of poverty that will leave beyond what First Worlders have ever experienced: “I’m used to sleepin’ on mats made of coconut leaves, dreamin’ of nightlights that aren’t kerosene lamps.” Difficult as those years were, though, the artist is thankful for having lived through them – while those around him fret over minor inconveniences, he has the will and perspective to keep his eye on the prize at all times. Digging this thought-provoking cut? Bigger Things is just the beginning of the fresh material set to appear on Prote’s Dope Raps & Kit Kats mixtape, due out April 19.
Written by richard on 03/23/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.