It may not be very reassuring to hear when you’re down, but it’s true: no matter how bad things are, there’s always someone out there who has it worse. Absent since last May’s So Sick freestyle, up-and-coming emcee Prote-J‘s back with a joint that’ll stop even the most strident complainer in mid-gripe. Making its world premiere on our front page, Bigger Things finds the artist working both sides of the boards, cooking up a pensive blend of pensive guitar and distorted vocal samples (shades of MBDTF?), the current Florida resident draws upon his experiences growing up in Papua New Guinea to paint a picture of poverty that will leave beyond what First Worlders have ever experienced: “I’m used to sleepin’ on mats made of coconut leaves, dreamin’ of nightlights that aren’t kerosene lamps.” Difficult as those years were, though, the artist is thankful for having lived through them – while those around him fret over minor inconveniences, he has the will and perspective to keep his eye on the prize at all times. Digging this thought-provoking cut? Bigger Things is just the beginning of the fresh material set to appear on Prote’s Dope Raps & Kit Kats mixtape, due out April 19.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.