It may not be very reassuring to hear when you’re down, but it’s true: no matter how bad things are, there’s always someone out there who has it worse. Absent since last May’s So Sick freestyle, up-and-coming emcee Prote-J‘s back with a joint that’ll stop even the most strident complainer in mid-gripe. Making its world premiere on our front page, Bigger Things finds the artist working both sides of the boards, cooking up a pensive blend of pensive guitar and distorted vocal samples (shades of MBDTF?), the current Florida resident draws upon his experiences growing up in Papua New Guinea to paint a picture of poverty that will leave beyond what First Worlders have ever experienced: “I’m used to sleepin’ on mats made of coconut leaves, dreamin’ of nightlights that aren’t kerosene lamps.” Difficult as those years were, though, the artist is thankful for having lived through them – while those around him fret over minor inconveniences, he has the will and perspective to keep his eye on the prize at all times. Digging this thought-provoking cut? Bigger Things is just the beginning of the fresh material set to appear on Prote’s Dope Raps & Kit Kats mixtape, due out April 19.
Written by richard on 03/23/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.