Emcee/producer Prote-J’s new single, All of the Lies, interestingly flips Kanye’s famous All of the Lights, depicting the harsh realities of the modern hip-hop industry, plagued by TMZ, Twitter, and storytellers who don’t return business favors. Rhyming, “Stickin’ to my roots on this Questlove,” Pro enters the track with an eloquence that speaks to his love for music but his disdain for negative elements of the industry, while guest artist and fellow Floridian GhostWridah adds his own critique of the dark reality behind flashing lights. Production wise the headliner’s instrumental is the antithesis of the Lights: the ominous beat is simple and of a mellow-tone, leaving a sufficient backdrop for wordplay. Ultimately both artists complement each other well, displaying a harsh and meditative aura, while still speaking truths to which any lover of hip-hop can relate. For more from Prote-J be sure to cop his Me.Verses.Time album, available for free stream and download via DJBooth.
Notes: Breaking feature for Wednesday. Stand out selection/new single from Pro’s “Me.Verses.Time” album, which we released at DJBooth last month (July). Pro flipped Kanye’s “All of the Lights.”
Written by Sandra Manzanares on 08/1/12
Orlando, Florida (by way of Papua New Guinea) emcee/producer Prote-J has released his new DJBooth-hosted album, Me.Verses.Time, which includes previously-features selections "Sunday Night," "Young Man" and "K.I.S." Guest...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)