Emcee/producer Prote-J’s new single, All of the Lies, interestingly flips Kanye’s famous All of the Lights, depicting the harsh realities of the modern hip-hop industry, plagued by TMZ, Twitter, and storytellers who don’t return business favors. Rhyming, “Stickin’ to my roots on this Questlove,” Pro enters the track with an eloquence that speaks to his love for music but his disdain for negative elements of the industry, while guest artist and fellow Floridian GhostWridah adds his own critique of the dark reality behind flashing lights. Production wise the headliner’s instrumental is the antithesis of the Lights: the ominous beat is simple and of a mellow-tone, leaving a sufficient backdrop for wordplay. Ultimately both artists complement each other well, displaying a harsh and meditative aura, while still speaking truths to which any lover of hip-hop can relate. For more from Prote-J be sure to cop his Me.Verses.Time album, available for free stream and download via DJBooth.
Notes: Breaking feature for Wednesday. Stand out selection/new single from Pro’s “Me.Verses.Time” album, which we released at DJBooth last month (July). Pro flipped Kanye’s “All of the Lights.”
Written by Sandra Manzanares on 08/1/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.