When East Palo Alto artist/producer ProHoeZak made his first, and until today only, appearance in the Booth he was an auto-tuned, chromed-out Superman. What a difference a couple years make. In sharp contrast to his previous appearance, Pro’s new single is a feel good, completely un-materialistic ode to Love & Happiness. For the self-produced beat PHZ heavily samples Al Green’s classic soul record of the same name, lifting the iconic keys line and adding some bouncing percussion. The major changes come on the vocal end, as ProHoe flips Love & Happiness into a recession anthem promising listeners that no matter how bleak their bank accounts, or love life, may be, they can still find happiness (presumably by playing this record). It goes without saying that he can’t match the Reverend Al’s original vocals, but Green also never dropped a spitfire flow, so on the whole I’ve got to say the modern day version holds up well. L & H isn’t attached to a larger project yet, but when it does find an official home we’ll be sure to let you know.
Written by Nathan S. on 09/23/10
Submit your Rating
Team Pro Inc./Pocket Aces Ent/EMS Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Obsessively Breaking Down the Demo Version of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)