When East Palo Alto artist/producer ProHoeZak made his first, and until today only, appearance in the Booth he was an auto-tuned, chromed-out Superman. What a difference a couple years make. In sharp contrast to his previous appearance, Pro’s new single is a feel good, completely un-materialistic ode to Love & Happiness. For the self-produced beat PHZ heavily samples Al Green’s classic soul record of the same name, lifting the iconic keys line and adding some bouncing percussion. The major changes come on the vocal end, as ProHoe flips Love & Happiness into a recession anthem promising listeners that no matter how bleak their bank accounts, or love life, may be, they can still find happiness (presumably by playing this record). It goes without saying that he can’t match the Reverend Al’s original vocals, but Green also never dropped a spitfire flow, so on the whole I’ve got to say the modern day version holds up well. L & H isn’t attached to a larger project yet, but when it does find an official home we’ll be sure to let you know.
Written by Nathan S. on 09/23/10
Submit your Rating
Team Pro Inc./Pocket Aces Ent/EMS Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.