When East Palo Alto artist/producer ProHoeZak made his first, and until today only, appearance in the Booth he was an auto-tuned, chromed-out Superman. What a difference a couple years make. In sharp contrast to his previous appearance, Pro’s new single is a feel good, completely un-materialistic ode to Love & Happiness. For the self-produced beat PHZ heavily samples Al Green’s classic soul record of the same name, lifting the iconic keys line and adding some bouncing percussion. The major changes come on the vocal end, as ProHoe flips Love & Happiness into a recession anthem promising listeners that no matter how bleak their bank accounts, or love life, may be, they can still find happiness (presumably by playing this record). It goes without saying that he can’t match the Reverend Al’s original vocals, but Green also never dropped a spitfire flow, so on the whole I’ve got to say the modern day version holds up well. L & H isn’t attached to a larger project yet, but when it does find an official home we’ll be sure to let you know.
Written by Nathan S. on 09/23/10
Submit your Rating
Team Pro Inc./Pocket Aces Ent/EMS Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.