When an artist steps into the Booth with a record titled The Reply, the obvious question is, “...the reply to whom?” In the case of PROF‘s new single and first Booth feature, released to coincide with his signing to Rhymesayers, the answer seems to be, “anyone who thinks he’s not the greatest.” Contrary to what his stage name suggests, the Minneapolis repper makes his point (that he is, in fact, the greatest) not via reasoned argumentation, but through wild, often surreal ranting. In a flow reminiscent of Danny Brown as his most turnt-up, PROF rattles off non sequiturs like, “F**k it, there’s a mermaid in my bathtub. The motherf**ker’s only there to give backrubs. / How much an ostrich cost, b*tch?” Curtiss King‘s lumbering piano-loops and staccato synths back his boisterous verses. This promo single is unattached to a larger set, but we’ll keep y’all posted on Prof’s plans as he settles in at his new label home.
Written by richard on 12/6/13
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.