When an artist steps into the Booth with a record titled The Reply, the obvious question is, “...the reply to whom?” In the case of PROF‘s new single and first Booth feature, released to coincide with his signing to Rhymesayers, the answer seems to be, “anyone who thinks he’s not the greatest.” Contrary to what his stage name suggests, the Minneapolis repper makes his point (that he is, in fact, the greatest) not via reasoned argumentation, but through wild, often surreal ranting. In a flow reminiscent of Danny Brown as his most turnt-up, PROF rattles off non sequiturs like, “F**k it, there’s a mermaid in my bathtub. The motherf**ker’s only there to give backrubs. / How much an ostrich cost, b*tch?” Curtiss King‘s lumbering piano-loops and staccato synths back his boisterous verses. This promo single is unattached to a larger set, but we’ll keep y’all posted on Prof’s plans as he settles in at his new label home.
Written by richard on 12/6/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.