When it comes to hip hop, the Midwest has a knack for giving us eccentric, game-changing characters. First there was Kanye and his Ralph Lauren polos and now there’s Cudi and his hipster frames. Enter ProbCause. In his DJBooth debut,On My Own, the Chicagoan reveals a fresh, funk-infused sound as he explains why the only one to trust in the music biz is yourself. Producer JDM backs the rhymesayer with some papery snares and wah-wah guitar licks while Prob bites at corporate avarice and frauds: “Snitches and bitches and snakes will harass you / Phonies and fronters and fakes will distract you.” Does anybody else hear a dash of T.I. in his delivery? Shining on the hook is producer JDM, whose Jamie Foxx-esque tenor arguably creates the highlight of the record. Now, am I saying ProbCause has the potential to be a Cudi or a ‘Ye? Not (yet) exactly. But does the man follow the Windy City tradition of injecting innovation into Hip Hop? Hell yes. And that’s why his upcoming mixtape Stir Fry, dropping June 21, will be hosted by DJBooth. Keep it locked.
Written by CourtlandHH on 06/8/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Live It Again" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.