Fresh off his newly signed deal with Island Def Jam, the 21-year-old Prince Charlez is ready to make his imprint on the industry. As is right now. Hailing from Compton, it’s only fitting that his new single and DJBooth debut finds him providing a California answer to Jay and Alicia by demonstrating his West Coast State of Mind. Produced by KNotch, the instrumental maintains a simplistic skeleton, with buoyant snares and rising synths that allows Charlez quasi-sung voice to take center stage. To accompany the singer on the song is fellow Angeleno Kendrick Lamar; who drops a guest verse that, in my opinion, is frankly rather neutral; it doesn’t add much or subtract much. All in all, it’s a decent introduction, and if anything shows some serious promise for Prince Charlez. His distinct drawl could easily prove to be catchy, something that can carry an artist far (see T-Pain). For now, West Coast State of Mind has no official home, but I have to imagine one will form soon. And if this joint is any indication, I’ll be eagerly awaiting its arrival.
Written by Jon Garcia on 08/15/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Greatest" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)