Fresh off his newly signed deal with Island Def Jam, the 21-year-old Prince Charlez is ready to make his imprint on the industry. As is right now. Hailing from Compton, it’s only fitting that his new single and DJBooth debut finds him providing a California answer to Jay and Alicia by demonstrating his West Coast State of Mind. Produced by KNotch, the instrumental maintains a simplistic skeleton, with buoyant snares and rising synths that allows Charlez quasi-sung voice to take center stage. To accompany the singer on the song is fellow Angeleno Kendrick Lamar; who drops a guest verse that, in my opinion, is frankly rather neutral; it doesn’t add much or subtract much. All in all, it’s a decent introduction, and if anything shows some serious promise for Prince Charlez. His distinct drawl could easily prove to be catchy, something that can carry an artist far (see T-Pain). For now, West Coast State of Mind has no official home, but I have to imagine one will form soon. And if this joint is any indication, I’ll be eagerly awaiting its arrival.
Written by Jon Garcia on 08/15/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Greatest" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Young Thug ft. Lil Wayne - Take Kare
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Logic - Buried Alive
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.