I know what you’re thinking: “Another record about a rapper’s determination to line his pockets, and he couldn’t even think of a more imaginative title than ‘Money?” Not so fast—Australian buzzmaker Prime‘s latest promo single isn’t just a departure from the materialistic status quo, it’s diametrically opposed. On this incisive jam, Answer‘s soulfully gritty brass/piano loops set the stage for rhymes detailing the oft-ignored paradoxes at the heart of our cash-obsessed “To me it’s ironic: some of you spend it all just to seem like you’ve got it / But you’ve gotta spend it to make it, I believe it, I promise, so if somebody’s givin’ you dough that’s ‘cause you’re seen as a profit.” Yet more evidence that incisive social commentary and dope beats are two great tastes that taste great together, Money is currently unattached to any forthcoming project; those who like what they’re hearing, however, can keep their browsers locked on DJBooth for all the latest news and tunes from this talented up-and-comer.
Written by richard on 10/3/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.