I know what you’re thinking: “Another record about a rapper’s determination to line his pockets, and he couldn’t even think of a more imaginative title than ‘Money?” Not so fast—Australian buzzmaker Prime‘s latest promo single isn’t just a departure from the materialistic status quo, it’s diametrically opposed. On this incisive jam, Answer‘s soulfully gritty brass/piano loops set the stage for rhymes detailing the oft-ignored paradoxes at the heart of our cash-obsessed “To me it’s ironic: some of you spend it all just to seem like you’ve got it / But you’ve gotta spend it to make it, I believe it, I promise, so if somebody’s givin’ you dough that’s ‘cause you’re seen as a profit.” Yet more evidence that incisive social commentary and dope beats are two great tastes that taste great together, Money is currently unattached to any forthcoming project; those who like what they’re hearing, however, can keep their browsers locked on DJBooth for all the latest news and tunes from this talented up-and-comer.
Written by richard on 10/3/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.