Truth be told, the deck’s pretty stacked against Pretty Ricky. From the ‘50s to the boy band explosion of the ‘90s to the modern hip-hop/r&b game, examples of groups that became famous as teens and then went on to adult success are few and far between (especially when original members like Pleasure P leave). But that won’t stop this quartet - Baby Blue, Slick’Em, Spectacular Smith & Lingerie - of smooth crooners from trying. Although the title of their new single Cookie Cutter refers to a girl who breaks the mold, it could also apply to the track’s sound, as Music Royale Productions crafts an appropriately sweet, quasi-retro beat for the pretty boys to sing over, and they happily oblige with sugary harmonies sprinkled with vocal flourishes. Like one of those Ms. Fields’ cookies you get at the mall, the result is delicious, but not exactly enough to satisfy those truly hungry for substantive R&B. Pretty Ricky continues their quest for longevity on their upcoming album Bluestars II, which currently has no release date.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/4/10
Submit your Rating
Blue Star/Big Cat/Tommy Boy
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"On The Hotline" (2006)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.