In a recent viral video, Yasiin Bey drew attention to the force-feeding of Guantanamo inmates, which prevents Muslim prisoners from observing Ramadan, by undergoing the process himself. If you were to ask him why he volunteered for the excruciating procedure in solidarity with 44 detainees he’d never met, his response might sound a lot like the title of this freshly-released collaboration with beatsmith Preservation: Freedom Is Everyone’s Job. A new single off the producer’s newly-released comp album, this cut finds the emcee formerly known as Mos Def justifying his artistic experimentation along similar lines, touting his unconventional style over his behind-the-boards partner’s dissonant string samples and slow-rolling rhythm section. Like what you’re hearing? More hot beats and high-quality guest bars await on Preservation’s Old Numbers LP, out now via Mon Dieu Music.
Written by richard on 07/10/13
Submit your Rating
Mon Dieu Music
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)