Last we featured PremRock as a headliner, it was December 2012 and he was getting ready to release a street album inspired by eccentric singer/songwriter Tom Waits. The NYC mic-murderer’s next project may not be quite so daring in concept, but it’ll still reflect his highly unique perspective on hip-hop. On the freshly-released lead single, he professes to see things through “a different Lens” than his peers, and the bars he spits here certainly back that assertion up. Over the dissonant keys and boom-bap percussion of Long Tokes rapper/beatsmith Quelle Chris, Prem touts his skills and lampoons… well, pretty much everyone else in the game. Not even underground hip-hop fans escape his pen unscathed; on the back, he spits, “I’m not tryin’ to circle-jerk with multi-colored AF1s and Dilla shirts / And cats debatin’ who in ‘93 had had the illest verse.” For Lens and much more, cop A Clean, Well-Lighted Place when it drops independently on Tuesday, April 15.
Written by richard on 03/31/14
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.