Last we featured PremRock as a headliner, it was December 2012 and he was getting ready to release a street album inspired by eccentric singer/songwriter Tom Waits. The NYC mic-murderer’s next project may not be quite so daring in concept, but it’ll still reflect his highly unique perspective on hip-hop. On the freshly-released lead single, he professes to see things through “a different Lens” than his peers, and the bars he spits here certainly back that assertion up. Over the dissonant keys and boom-bap percussion of Long Tokes rapper/beatsmith Quelle Chris, Prem touts his skills and lampoons… well, pretty much everyone else in the game. Not even underground hip-hop fans escape his pen unscathed; on the back, he spits, “I’m not tryin’ to circle-jerk with multi-colored AF1s and Dilla shirts / And cats debatin’ who in ‘93 had had the illest verse.” For Lens and much more, cop A Clean, Well-Lighted Place when it drops independently on Tuesday, April 15.
Written by richard on 03/31/14
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.