On their Booth debut, the phenomenal Diary of a Dreamer, PremRock & Willie Green showed a level of rapper-producer interplay reminiscent of such greats as DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince and Eric B. & Rakim. With that kind of chemistry, it seems like a shame to let other artists enter the circle—or it would be, if it weren’t for the caliber of collaborators that join the twosome on Had to Be Me, a Booth-exclusive world premiere off their forthcoming LP. With the duo’s sampled string-organ grooves banging in the back, C-Rayz Walz opens proceeding on a poetically braggadocious note (“Had to be me, not a clone or a digi-bot / Sun’s cycle, weather patterns, PremRock the equinox“) before passing the mic to Soul Khan for a middle 16 packed with melodic flows and left-field pop-culture references: “I got the mind and focus of Travolta in Phenomenon.” Prem lends his surreal wit to the back (“My shine’ll make the eyelid on the pyramid blink / Vaginas flow the same, I think your periods’ synched.”), and DJ Adikt ties it all together with some old-school cuts. Digging it? Then keep it locked for the latest on the co-headliners’ self-titled LP, which as-yet lacks a solid drop date.
Written by richard on 09/22/11
Submit your Rating
Isolated Wax Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Diary of a Dreamer" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.