Now that Little Brother is no more, is Rapper Big Pooh going to set down the mic and take a breather? Don’t be “redic!” Not only is the North Carolina native hard at work on the solo tip, he’s also been cooking up plenty of collaborative material – including No Surrender, the latest single off beatsmith Explizit One‘s forthcoming full-length. Over the Massachusetts producer’s tension-fraught piano backdrop, Pooh hits the mic with laid-back determination, effortlessly dropping polysyllabic rhymes and even managing to work in a Punch-Out reference: “Got a concrete stare and a three-piece grin / Glass Joe, let me see your chin.” Boston native (and exclusive freestyle series contributor) M-Dot takes over where Pooh leaves off, lacing the track’s latter half with equally on-point braggadocio, and DJ Family Tyz ties it all together with some authentic cuts on the chorus (sampled from Jadakiss’ Time’s Up). Never Surrendering and much more will be found on Explizit’s Out My Mama’s Basement LP, set to hit record stores and online retailers “soon.”
Written by richard on 07/13/10
For Members Only
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Comeback" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.