Once simply associated with razor-thin attention spans and impulsive behavior, the term “ADHD” has been reclaimed by various recording artists as an emblem of freshness and innovation. Of course, the restless, novelty-seeking mindset that often yields musical gold isn’t such a positive in the realm of romantic relationships, which require focus and fidelity to keep alive. On current single Parachute, Booth newcomer Poach Stevens uses his marriage as a springboard for his reflections on the difficulty of maintaining trust in spite of past scars. Over his own production, centered around a lush yet pensive vocal-percussion loop sampled from Ingrid Michaelson’s record of the same title, the Richmond, Cali representative bemoans his wife’s constant suspicion of his motives—though he says and does all the right things, even keeping “a picture of us in [his] wallet,” she can’t seem to get over the idea that he’ll run off and, “sleep around with some floozie chicken.” Though this joint’s honesty is occasionally brutal, its heartfelt tone leaves no doubt that Stevens is just as committed to his woman as he is to artistic innovation. For more freshness, check out the artist’s ADHD EP when it drops August 15.
Written by richard on 07/10/11
God I'm Done with this Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bullets Through the Eyes & the Stars Fell Out" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.