Featured back in July of 2011, Poach Stevens’ solo Booth debut earned praise for the emcee’s brutally honest account of the struggle to maintain a marriage against the ravages of jealousy and paranoia. If you thought Parachutes was real, you ain’t heard nothing yet. On his latest single, a joint by the attention-grabbing title Bullets Through the Eyes & the Stars Fell Out, the Richmond repper digs even deeper, using his alcohol abuse as a springboard for a cathartic exposé of his emotional scars. Over his own poignant instrumental, a cinematically understated piano-synth groove that explodes into a lush, string-drenched chorus, Poach lays bare the emotional trauma underlying his self-destructive behavior: “I got it from my daddy / The hookers and the drinkin’ and the schemin’ and the screamin’ and the beatdowns—f*ckin’ screw it.” Heavy stuff, to be sure but, if the reaction to Stevens’ previous feature is any indication, heads in the Booth will appreciate its realness. Poach’s ADHD EP as-yet lacks a drop date, but fans can click here to peep this record’s official video, directed by Swapmeet Ensemble partner-in-rhyme Silence DemALL.
Written by richard on 01/11/12
Submit your Rating
God I'm Done with this Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.