Featured back in July of 2011, Poach Stevens’ solo Booth debut earned praise for the emcee’s brutally honest account of the struggle to maintain a marriage against the ravages of jealousy and paranoia. If you thought Parachutes was real, you ain’t heard nothing yet. On his latest single, a joint by the attention-grabbing title Bullets Through the Eyes & the Stars Fell Out, the Richmond repper digs even deeper, using his alcohol abuse as a springboard for a cathartic exposé of his emotional scars. Over his own poignant instrumental, a cinematically understated piano-synth groove that explodes into a lush, string-drenched chorus, Poach lays bare the emotional trauma underlying his self-destructive behavior: “I got it from my daddy / The hookers and the drinkin’ and the schemin’ and the screamin’ and the beatdowns—f*ckin’ screw it.” Heavy stuff, to be sure but, if the reaction to Stevens’ previous feature is any indication, heads in the Booth will appreciate its realness. Poach’s ADHD EP as-yet lacks a drop date, but fans can click here to peep this record’s official video, directed by Swapmeet Ensemble partner-in-rhyme Silence DemALL.
Written by richard on 01/11/12
God I'm Done with this Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.