Featured back in July of 2011, Poach Stevens’ solo Booth debut earned praise for the emcee’s brutally honest account of the struggle to maintain a marriage against the ravages of jealousy and paranoia. If you thought Parachutes was real, you ain’t heard nothing yet. On his latest single, a joint by the attention-grabbing title Bullets Through the Eyes & the Stars Fell Out, the Richmond repper digs even deeper, using his alcohol abuse as a springboard for a cathartic exposé of his emotional scars. Over his own poignant instrumental, a cinematically understated piano-synth groove that explodes into a lush, string-drenched chorus, Poach lays bare the emotional trauma underlying his self-destructive behavior: “I got it from my daddy / The hookers and the drinkin’ and the schemin’ and the screamin’ and the beatdowns—f*ckin’ screw it.” Heavy stuff, to be sure but, if the reaction to Stevens’ previous feature is any indication, heads in the Booth will appreciate its realness. Poach’s ADHD EP as-yet lacks a drop date, but fans can click here to peep this record’s official video, directed by Swapmeet Ensemble partner-in-rhyme Silence DemALL.
Written by richard on 01/11/12
Submit your Rating
God I'm Done with this Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.