This evening, I’m going to be donning my black hoodie (probably after a good lint-rolling) and heading downtown to join 5,000-plus Twin Cities residents to demand justice for Trayvon Martin. I could hardly ask for a better overture to that demonstration than We Are Trayvon, a newly-released jam on which Plies expresses his solidarity with the slain 17-year old and his family. Here, the understated, piano-led boardwork of Filthy Beatz bangs in the back as the Opa Locka rhymesayer voices his shock and dismay at the circumstances surrounding the murder: “I never thought wearin’ no hoodie could cost you your life / And I never thought you could just kill somebody and get out the same night.” Despite the lack of justice in this world, the rapper takes solace in the knowledge that Trayvon will receive his just rewards in the next. In fact, Plies’ closing image of the teen playing on Heaven’s gridiron with a solid gold football is so touching that I’m going to overlook how unbelievably heavy said pigskin would be. Released yesterday to coincide with NYC’s Million Hoodie March, this poignant jam is available now for purchase on iTunes. Fans can hear more from Plies on his On Trial mixtape, released to the ‘net last month.
Written by richard on 04/12/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Got 'Em Hatin" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.