After hearing Plies pay tribute to a woman/sexual euphemism with the borderline-unrhymable name of “Becky” on the lead single off his forthcoming Goon Affiliated LP, I was half expecting the rapper to one-up himself with a follow-up centered around, I dunno, oranges (hey, he is from Florida). Though I found that cut’s slight lyrical awkwardness hilarious, Booth readers who didn’t share my amusement will be happy to hear that second single Medicine is much, much lighter on the forced rhymes. If this mellow love jam rings a bell, there’s a good reason: a version of the record with Three 6 Mafia as the lead artist and Gucci Mane as guest feature was leaked to the ‘net back in July. Since then, the rights to Polow Da Don‘s tuneful, keyboard-driven beat have been purchased by Plies’ people at Atlantic Records, who also elected to retain Keri Hilson‘s silky-smooth chorus. With Plies’ sing-song sex talk and a catchy melody to boot, Medicine has undeniable hit potential, but will it be enough to cure Goon Affiliated‘s no-release-date-itis? For now, we can only speculate…
Written by richard on 10/11/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Got 'Em Hatin" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.