I’ll be perfectly honest: during the first few bars of Playboy Tre‘s Liquor Store Mascot lead single, I had to stifle a chuckle – anybody familiar with HBO stars Flight of the Conchords’ Robots will understand why (and if not, it’s worth a YouTube search). That said, We Are The Robots makes a serious point about conformity in the music industry. Rejoining forces with his Nite Life collaborator, Tre takes aim at the tired gangsterisms and hypermasculine clichés that so many rappers fall back on in order to achieve mainstream success, while B.o.B widens the lyrical focus to give listeners a bird’s-eye view of our increasingly standardized lifestyles. Baby Boi‘s fittingly futuristic beat, complete with military drums, evokes the image of robots on the march. With science-fiction style and plenty of lyrical substance, We Are The Robots should have fans flocking in lockstep to their local record shops come spring of this year.
Georgia Dirt Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nite Life ft. B.o.B." (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!