I’ll be perfectly honest: during the first few bars of Playboy Tre‘s Liquor Store Mascot lead single, I had to stifle a chuckle – anybody familiar with HBO stars Flight of the Conchords’ Robots will understand why (and if not, it’s worth a YouTube search). That said, We Are The Robots makes a serious point about conformity in the music industry. Rejoining forces with his Nite Life collaborator, Tre takes aim at the tired gangsterisms and hypermasculine clichés that so many rappers fall back on in order to achieve mainstream success, while B.o.B widens the lyrical focus to give listeners a bird’s-eye view of our increasingly standardized lifestyles. Baby Boi‘s fittingly futuristic beat, complete with military drums, evokes the image of robots on the march. With science-fiction style and plenty of lyrical substance, We Are The Robots should have fans flocking in lockstep to their local record shops come spring of this year.
Written by richard on 02/10/09
Submit your Rating
Georgia Dirt Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nite Life ft. B.o.B." (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.