I’ll be perfectly honest: during the first few bars of Playboy Tre‘s Liquor Store Mascot lead single, I had to stifle a chuckle – anybody familiar with HBO stars Flight of the Conchords’ Robots will understand why (and if not, it’s worth a YouTube search). That said, We Are The Robots makes a serious point about conformity in the music industry. Rejoining forces with his Nite Life collaborator, Tre takes aim at the tired gangsterisms and hypermasculine clichés that so many rappers fall back on in order to achieve mainstream success, while B.o.B widens the lyrical focus to give listeners a bird’s-eye view of our increasingly standardized lifestyles. Baby Boi‘s fittingly futuristic beat, complete with military drums, evokes the image of robots on the march. With science-fiction style and plenty of lyrical substance, We Are The Robots should have fans flocking in lockstep to their local record shops come spring of this year.
Written by richard on 02/10/09
Submit your Rating
Georgia Dirt Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nite Life ft. B.o.B." (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Madison | LST ft. Kiah Victoria - The World
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- DJ Drama ft. Young Jeezy, Young Thug & Rich Homie Quan - Right Back
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.