I’ll be perfectly honest: during the first few bars of Playboy Tre‘s Liquor Store Mascot lead single, I had to stifle a chuckle – anybody familiar with HBO stars Flight of the Conchords’ Robots will understand why (and if not, it’s worth a YouTube search). That said, We Are The Robots makes a serious point about conformity in the music industry. Rejoining forces with his Nite Life collaborator, Tre takes aim at the tired gangsterisms and hypermasculine clichés that so many rappers fall back on in order to achieve mainstream success, while B.o.B widens the lyrical focus to give listeners a bird’s-eye view of our increasingly standardized lifestyles. Baby Boi‘s fittingly futuristic beat, complete with military drums, evokes the image of robots on the march. With science-fiction style and plenty of lyrical substance, We Are The Robots should have fans flocking in lockstep to their local record shops come spring of this year.
Georgia Dirt Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nite Life ft. B.o.B." (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Smoke Weed Everyday: A 30 Song 4/20 Playlist
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.