I don’t want to be one of those old hip-hop heads who spend his days complaining about how everything was better way back when. I really don’t. But as much as I try to expand my musical boundaries, as soon as a track like No Apologies comes on my head starts automatically nodding - and f**k it, I’m not apologizing. One of the west coast’s true vets, Planet Asia, reached across to the right coast to to the impeccable Raekwon for No Apologies, picking up a soulful, smoothed out beat from Oh No along the way that’s a far cry from the dark work he just wrapped up with Gangrene. Both emcees lay down exactly the type of unshakable bars you’d expect, with The Chef fittingly pausing only to shout out grilled cheese. If you’re digging what you’re hearing, and I’m pretty sure you are, be sure to cop Asia’s Black Belt Theater album, also featuring Talib Kweli, Fashawn and more, coming out tomorrow (2/28) and available for pre-order right now. Enjoy, and don’t ever apologize for being an old school hip-hop head.
Written by Nathan S. on 02/27/12
Submit your Rating
Gold Chain Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nothin' Wrong" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.