It’s completely and utterly cliché, but true: when you’re in love, even the seeming flaws of a person are transformed into marks of beauty. What to do, then, when the object of your affection is unable to see the good in him - or herself – and takes that insecurity out on you? Such is the dilemma faced by Booth newcomer PJ Simas, who presents a “Diagnosis of a Beautiful Mind” on this newly-leaked cut off his latest full-length. Here, the 21-year-old San Luis Obispo resident showcases his skills on both sides of the boards, crafting a downbeat synth-guitar arrangement for his emotionally-charged verses, which find him lamenting his inability to connect with his girl any longer. Though he makes a sincere effort to see things from her perspective, all his attempts are in vain, and the record ends on a note of desperation: “Is this what I deserve? To be harassed as a person, to be told by my boo straight up I don’t deserve them.” Heavy stuff, too be sure – but I have a feeling all too many will be able to relate to the artist’s plight. If you can appreciate this joint’s emotionally raw style, more hot beats and real talk await on Simas’ Triple Play LP, released April 29, and out now online.
Written by richard on 05/16/11
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “Chicago vs. Everybody?”
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.