It’s completely and utterly cliché, but true: when you’re in love, even the seeming flaws of a person are transformed into marks of beauty. What to do, then, when the object of your affection is unable to see the good in him - or herself – and takes that insecurity out on you? Such is the dilemma faced by Booth newcomer PJ Simas, who presents a “Diagnosis of a Beautiful Mind” on this newly-leaked cut off his latest full-length. Here, the 21-year-old San Luis Obispo resident showcases his skills on both sides of the boards, crafting a downbeat synth-guitar arrangement for his emotionally-charged verses, which find him lamenting his inability to connect with his girl any longer. Though he makes a sincere effort to see things from her perspective, all his attempts are in vain, and the record ends on a note of desperation: “Is this what I deserve? To be harassed as a person, to be told by my boo straight up I don’t deserve them.” Heavy stuff, too be sure – but I have a feeling all too many will be able to relate to the artist’s plight. If you can appreciate this joint’s emotionally raw style, more hot beats and real talk await on Simas’ Triple Play LP, released April 29, and out now online.
Written by richard on 05/16/11
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)