In March 2012, when a freshly-signed PJ Morton introduced himself to our pages with Lover, readers weren’t exactly falling all over themselves to embrace the rising R&B star. With 11 more months of artistic growth behind him, the Young Money signee returns to try his luck once again with new single Only One—and, if my ears don’t deceive me, I have a feeling the second time’s gonna be the charm. On this romantic, mid-tempo cut, the singer exhibits a dynamic, engaging vocal presence and an expanded musical palette as he addresses a female object of his affection over his and Warryn “Baby Dubb” Campbell‘s jazz-infused production. And did I mention that the one and only Stevie Wonder lends a hand on harmonica? If PJ Morton’s succeeded in winning you over with this soulful selection, than keep it locked; solo debut New Orleans is currently slated for release on May 14.
Written by richard on 01/29/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.