In March 2012, when a freshly-signed PJ Morton introduced himself to our pages with Lover, readers weren’t exactly falling all over themselves to embrace the rising R&B star. With 11 more months of artistic growth behind him, the Young Money signee returns to try his luck once again with new single Only One—and, if my ears don’t deceive me, I have a feeling the second time’s gonna be the charm. On this romantic, mid-tempo cut, the singer exhibits a dynamic, engaging vocal presence and an expanded musical palette as he addresses a female object of his affection over his and Warryn “Baby Dubb” Campbell‘s jazz-infused production. And did I mention that the one and only Stevie Wonder lends a hand on harmonica? If PJ Morton’s succeeded in winning you over with this soulful selection, than keep it locked; solo debut New Orleans is currently slated for release on May 14.
Written by richard on 01/29/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.