PJ Katz may be new to our pages, but rest assured that he’s doing everything humanly possible to make up for lost time. Matter of fact, the Albany beatsmith’s been grinding so hard lately that the whole past year feels like A Blur. On this freshly-released album standout, Katz showcases a production style firmly rooted in the classics, filleting a mournful soul sample over a compulsively head-noddable boom-bap rhythm as Rochester-repping guest rhymesayer Moses Rockwell gives listeners the rundown on his own relentless hustle to make it. With a hella-fide work ethic and a sound sure to please fans of vintage, East Coast grooves, Katz seems destined to do big things in the DJBooth and beyond—or have I got it twisted? If you like what you’re hearing, plenty more bangers await on the producer’s ‘92 Renault Music LP, due out October 16, via Pig Food Records.
Written by richard on 09/26/12
Submit your Rating
Pig Food Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Marshall Applewhite" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.