When Soul Food came out back in 1997, everybody connected with the character of “Big Mama” and felt her persona in their own loved ones. In 2011, Pill pays homage to his own “mama” and feeds us some musical soul food with Why It Gotta Be Like Dis? (Mama), from his upcoming project, The Epidemic EP. The Maybach Music/Warner Bros signee brings a different energy on a song that plays on whimsical notes that remind you of PM Dawn’s Set Adrift on Memory Bliss, which is perfect for Pill, who reminisces on the times he shared with his favorite woman in the whole wide world: his mother. Matt (of Illfonics) paints the perfect picture for Pill to narrate with production encompassed of a steady drums, cymbals and tinkling sonics that invite anyone to leave the trap and take a trip down Memory Lane. With openly honest lyrics Pill will surely be able to draw sentiment from any rough and tumble listener; hey, where would any of us be without our mothers? Stick with The DJBooth as we keep you posted on Pill’s The Epidemic EP, coming soon.
Written by Sigmund'sDope on 11/2/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.