When Soul Food came out back in 1997, everybody connected with the character of “Big Mama” and felt her persona in their own loved ones. In 2011, Pill pays homage to his own “mama” and feeds us some musical soul food with Why It Gotta Be Like Dis? (Mama), from his upcoming project, The Epidemic EP. The Maybach Music/Warner Bros signee brings a different energy on a song that plays on whimsical notes that remind you of PM Dawn’s Set Adrift on Memory Bliss, which is perfect for Pill, who reminisces on the times he shared with his favorite woman in the whole wide world: his mother. Matt (of Illfonics) paints the perfect picture for Pill to narrate with production encompassed of a steady drums, cymbals and tinkling sonics that invite anyone to leave the trap and take a trip down Memory Lane. With openly honest lyrics Pill will surely be able to draw sentiment from any rough and tumble listener; hey, where would any of us be without our mothers? Stick with The DJBooth as we keep you posted on Pill’s The Epidemic EP, coming soon.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: !llmind
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.