The word “hustle” might just be the most overused word in hip-hop, but there’s really no better term to describe Pill’s ascension. Just a few months after the then-relatively-unknown ATL rapper made his DJBooth debut with Music, Pill is now a household name (in hip-hop households anyway) who’s signed to Asylum. Hustle partially explains his success, but the man’s music also can’t be denied, especially when it sounds like Thoughts. Featuring some absolutely crushing production by Tecknowledgy, Thoughts is Pill at his most lyrically intense; in the intro he promises to put his soul into the mic, and he delivers. I could do without the extended monologue in the middle of the track (don’t say it, rhyme it), but it’s a small complaint given the song’s undeniable energy. Thoughts is the first leak off Pill’s upcoming 1140: The Overdose Mixtape, which follows his Prescription and Refill mixtapes (get it?). Is there a Rehab mixtape on the way? You’ll have to keep it locked to DJBooth to find out.
Written by Nathan S. on 02/9/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.