The word “hustle” might just be the most overused word in hip-hop, but there’s really no better term to describe Pill’s ascension. Just a few months after the then-relatively-unknown ATL rapper made his DJBooth debut with Music, Pill is now a household name (in hip-hop households anyway) who’s signed to Asylum. Hustle partially explains his success, but the man’s music also can’t be denied, especially when it sounds like Thoughts. Featuring some absolutely crushing production by Tecknowledgy, Thoughts is Pill at his most lyrically intense; in the intro he promises to put his soul into the mic, and he delivers. I could do without the extended monologue in the middle of the track (don’t say it, rhyme it), but it’s a small complaint given the song’s undeniable energy. Thoughts is the first leak off Pill’s upcoming 1140: The Overdose Mixtape, which follows his Prescription and Refill mixtapes (get it?). Is there a Rehab mixtape on the way? You’ll have to keep it locked to DJBooth to find out.
Listen to More: Pill
Written by Nathan S. on 02/9/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.