There’s no better way for a Booth newcomer to endear himself to our regulars than by paying tribute to the legends, and underground up-and-comer Pill has a longer list of influences than most. On this newly-released mixtape cut, the Atlanta rapper delivers a personal history-via-Music, name-dropping the many rap, soul, and R&B icons whose work inspired him over the course of his life. Aspen Agency beatsmith Mick Vegas backs the emcee’s heartfelt rhymes with some fittingly nostalgic sample work, serving up a lush piano-brass instrumental with a Chipmunk-style vocal hook. If you’re an old soul, Music is virtually guaranteed to strike a chord, but that doesn’t mean the rest should pass this one by—Pill’s new-school flow and Vegas’ ear-pleasing accompaniment make it an easy record for anyone to swallow (terrible pun intended). Those jonesing for more of this up-and-comer’s underground sounds can get what they’re craving this summer, when his latest mixtape, 4075: The Refill, hits the ‘net.
Written by richard on 06/2/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Womb 2 The Tomb" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.