There’s no better way for a Booth newcomer to endear himself to our regulars than by paying tribute to the legends, and underground up-and-comer Pill has a longer list of influences than most. On this newly-released mixtape cut, the Atlanta rapper delivers a personal history-via-Music, name-dropping the many rap, soul, and R&B icons whose work inspired him over the course of his life. Aspen Agency beatsmith Mick Vegas backs the emcee’s heartfelt rhymes with some fittingly nostalgic sample work, serving up a lush piano-brass instrumental with a Chipmunk-style vocal hook. If you’re an old soul, Music is virtually guaranteed to strike a chord, but that doesn’t mean the rest should pass this one by—Pill’s new-school flow and Vegas’ ear-pleasing accompaniment make it an easy record for anyone to swallow (terrible pun intended). Those jonesing for more of this up-and-comer’s underground sounds can get what they’re craving this summer, when his latest mixtape, 4075: The Refill, hits the ‘net.
Listen to More: Pill
Written by richard on 06/2/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Womb 2 The Tomb" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.