There’s no better way for a Booth newcomer to endear himself to our regulars than by paying tribute to the legends, and underground up-and-comer Pill has a longer list of influences than most. On this newly-released mixtape cut, the Atlanta rapper delivers a personal history-via-Music, name-dropping the many rap, soul, and R&B icons whose work inspired him over the course of his life. Aspen Agency beatsmith Mick Vegas backs the emcee’s heartfelt rhymes with some fittingly nostalgic sample work, serving up a lush piano-brass instrumental with a Chipmunk-style vocal hook. If you’re an old soul, Music is virtually guaranteed to strike a chord, but that doesn’t mean the rest should pass this one by—Pill’s new-school flow and Vegas’ ear-pleasing accompaniment make it an easy record for anyone to swallow (terrible pun intended). Those jonesing for more of this up-and-comer’s underground sounds can get what they’re craving this summer, when his latest mixtape, 4075: The Refill, hits the ‘net.
Listen to More: Pill
Written by richard on 06/2/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Womb 2 The Tomb" (2009)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.