The pharmacist is developing a formula aimed at curing what ails hip-hop. After dropping off mixtapes The Prescription, The Refill and The Overdose, rapper Pill is gearing up for his Warner Bros. debut album, The Medicine. Known primarily for street anthems like Trap Goin’ Ham and On Da Korner, which elevated Pill to XXL’s 2010 Freshmen list, the ATL native’s motivational style on his new single Blow Up (not to be confused with J. Cole’s song of the same name) could be considered a change of pace. For Blow Up’s hook Pill teams up with I.Y.A.Z. (he of Replay fame) and the singer crafts an infectious and uplifting chorus that will have even your grandmother singing in the shower; not that we want to picture that. Coming in on production is Iyaz’ Beluga Heights boss J.R. Rotem, who once again shows his Top 10 single touch with a lighter beat that Pill ices with rapid-fire lyrics reflecting on the struggles he’s faced. Will Pill’s mixture of the street and radio-friendly styles add up to a concoction that earns The Medicine a solid release date from Warner Bros.? That, DJBooth nation, is up to you.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 08/19/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.