The pharmacist is developing a formula aimed at curing what ails hip-hop. After dropping off mixtapes The Prescription, The Refill and The Overdose, rapper Pill is gearing up for his Warner Bros. debut album, The Medicine. Known primarily for street anthems like Trap Goin’ Ham and On Da Korner, which elevated Pill to XXL’s 2010 Freshmen list, the ATL native’s motivational style on his new single Blow Up (not to be confused with J. Cole’s song of the same name) could be considered a change of pace. For Blow Up’s hook Pill teams up with I.Y.A.Z. (he of Replay fame) and the singer crafts an infectious and uplifting chorus that will have even your grandmother singing in the shower; not that we want to picture that. Coming in on production is Iyaz’ Beluga Heights boss J.R. Rotem, who once again shows his Top 10 single touch with a lighter beat that Pill ices with rapid-fire lyrics reflecting on the struggles he’s faced. Will Pill’s mixture of the street and radio-friendly styles add up to a concoction that earns The Medicine a solid release date from Warner Bros.? That, DJBooth nation, is up to you.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 08/19/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.