Despite the confident facade rappers do their best to maintain, you never really know if you’re destined for Success or Failure till you get there. (Recognizing which is which once you get there… well, that’s a whole ‘nother can of worms.) In the meantime, all you can do is hustle to the utmost of your abilities. On PHZ-Sicks’ latest mixtape leak, the DMV native (and freestyle alum) tackles his self-doubt head-on. Backed by Epik Da Dawn‘s pensive, piano-led production, Sicks drops a cleverly allusive account of his grind, acknowledging the future’s uncertainty but ultimately affirming his commitment to the game – as he hilariously puts it, “It’s time for me to go for mine, and hope things even out like John Legend’s hairline.” Fellow freestyle series contributor Young Scolla handles guest duties, lacing the hook with some of the same soulful sung vocals he showcased on his very first feature. Digging this introspective motivational banger? You can look forward to some fresh new tunes just in time for the New Year; The Laws of PHZ-Sicks is set to hit the ‘net, via RefinedHype, on January 5.
Written by richard on 12/7/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Make 'Em Envy" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.