Despite the confident facade rappers do their best to maintain, you never really know if you’re destined for Success or Failure till you get there. (Recognizing which is which once you get there… well, that’s a whole ‘nother can of worms.) In the meantime, all you can do is hustle to the utmost of your abilities. On PHZ-Sicks’ latest mixtape leak, the DMV native (and freestyle alum) tackles his self-doubt head-on. Backed by Epik Da Dawn‘s pensive, piano-led production, Sicks drops a cleverly allusive account of his grind, acknowledging the future’s uncertainty but ultimately affirming his commitment to the game – as he hilariously puts it, “It’s time for me to go for mine, and hope things even out like John Legend’s hairline.” Fellow freestyle series contributor Young Scolla handles guest duties, lacing the hook with some of the same soulful sung vocals he showcased on his very first feature. Digging this introspective motivational banger? You can look forward to some fresh new tunes just in time for the New Year; The Laws of PHZ-Sicks is set to hit the ‘net, via RefinedHype, on January 5.
Written by richard on 12/7/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Make 'Em Envy" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.