Despite the confident facade rappers do their best to maintain, you never really know if you’re destined for Success or Failure till you get there. (Recognizing which is which once you get there… well, that’s a whole ‘nother can of worms.) In the meantime, all you can do is hustle to the utmost of your abilities. On PHZ-Sicks’ latest mixtape leak, the DMV native (and freestyle alum) tackles his self-doubt head-on. Backed by Epik Da Dawn‘s pensive, piano-led production, Sicks drops a cleverly allusive account of his grind, acknowledging the future’s uncertainty but ultimately affirming his commitment to the game – as he hilariously puts it, “It’s time for me to go for mine, and hope things even out like John Legend’s hairline.” Fellow freestyle series contributor Young Scolla handles guest duties, lacing the hook with some of the same soulful sung vocals he showcased on his very first feature. Digging this introspective motivational banger? You can look forward to some fresh new tunes just in time for the New Year; The Laws of PHZ-Sicks is set to hit the ‘net, via RefinedHype, on January 5.
Written by richard on 12/7/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Make 'Em Envy" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.