Released via our mixtape page last week, Phresh James’ latest street album has lived up to its title, garnering Universal L[o]ve from the Booth readership. If all those four and five-star reviews weren’t enough to persuade you to cop the project, then I’m not sure what to tell you—other than to strongly urge you to take a listen to newly-released standout cut/single For a Long Time. This smoothed-out ensemble cut finds the Panhandle State buzzmaker coming together with not one, not two, but five of his most talented homies to rhyme about the struggles and triumphs of the grind (among myriad other topics) over a headnodically chill chopped-sample arrangement by REM. James heads off the pack, daydreaming about what his future may hold (“...hopefully bigger shows, payin’ gigs to feed my kids / And rhymes that’ll cross your minds like ’ That’s that sh*t.”) in an engaging opener. Following him on the mic are Booth regulars J NICS and Personal, as well as Raise Ya Glass guest contributor Sean Buck and first-time featurees Golden, and Lil Champ. Who delivered the standout verse? Debate away—and don’t forget to grab your free copy of Phresh James’ highly-acclaimed new mixtape, Universal Lve Period.
Written by richard on 01/22/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.