Released via our mixtape page last week, Phresh James’ latest street album has lived up to its title, garnering Universal L[o]ve from the Booth readership. If all those four and five-star reviews weren’t enough to persuade you to cop the project, then I’m not sure what to tell you—other than to strongly urge you to take a listen to newly-released standout cut/single For a Long Time. This smoothed-out ensemble cut finds the Panhandle State buzzmaker coming together with not one, not two, but five of his most talented homies to rhyme about the struggles and triumphs of the grind (among myriad other topics) over a headnodically chill chopped-sample arrangement by REM. James heads off the pack, daydreaming about what his future may hold (“...hopefully bigger shows, payin’ gigs to feed my kids / And rhymes that’ll cross your minds like ’ That’s that sh*t.”) in an engaging opener. Following him on the mic are Booth regulars J NICS and Personal, as well as Raise Ya Glass guest contributor Sean Buck and first-time featurees Golden, and Lil Champ. Who delivered the standout verse? Debate away—and don’t forget to grab your free copy of Phresh James’ highly-acclaimed new mixtape, Universal Lve Period.
Written by richard on 01/22/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.