As loyal Boothgoers already know, Portland beatmaker Phoniks is currently hard at work on Stories From the Brass Section, a joint album with emcee Anti-Lilly. (The set’s last single, Blue Dream (Remix), hit our front page on Sunday.) But that’s not the only collaborative project he’s got cooking; he’s also recording a full-length with Hampton, Virginia-based Booth newcomer Dephlow. As a foretaste of what listeners can expect from the latter LP, the duo’s liberated new single Lost Girls. Here, Phoniks’s bittersweet piano loops and boom-bap percussion back the rhymesayer as he addresses young women struggling to make ends meet. Along with his words of sympathy, he offers a few pieces of advice: “For all my girls searching for the man of they dreams / Just remember that your worth ain’t inanimate things.” For more quality beats and thought-provoking bars, cop the twosome’s DephAcation LP when it drops digitally in June.
Written by richard on 01/21/14
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.