Every artist (including, cough, yours truly), occasionally finds him or herself with Nothing to Say. The mark of true talent is being able to say nothing in such a dope fashion that no one notices you’re just going on and on and on and on to fill space without ever approaching anything even remotely resembling a point. OK, that was a little transparent—for a better example, I turn to Phive, a North Carolina trio whose music you may have heard on MTV’s Jersey Shore and The Pauly D Show. On their latest single, Booth newcomers Joe Crush, J. Timber and DJ 818 make blunted ennui sound positively infectious. Backed by Benton Allen James’ stop-start piano chords and leisurely percussion, Crush describes himself kicking back on the porch, enjoying a big, “brown blunt” without a care in the world—until a nagging phone call from his mom shakes him out of his reverie. Assisting on the guest tip, Edie Wellman ties the cut together with a fittingly breezy hook, and J. Timber laces the back with some smooth sung vocals of his own. A catchy cut tailor-made for a summertime smoking session, this is just one of many quality jams set for inclusion on the group’s Party Phoul LP, set to hit online retailers this May.
Written by richard on 04/3/12
Submit your Rating
Boyd Allen Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Way It Goes" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.