Every artist (including, cough, yours truly), occasionally finds him or herself with Nothing to Say. The mark of true talent is being able to say nothing in such a dope fashion that no one notices you’re just going on and on and on and on to fill space without ever approaching anything even remotely resembling a point. OK, that was a little transparent—for a better example, I turn to Phive, a North Carolina trio whose music you may have heard on MTV’s Jersey Shore and The Pauly D Show. On their latest single, Booth newcomers Joe Crush, J. Timber and DJ 818 make blunted ennui sound positively infectious. Backed by Benton Allen James’ stop-start piano chords and leisurely percussion, Crush describes himself kicking back on the porch, enjoying a big, “brown blunt” without a care in the world—until a nagging phone call from his mom shakes him out of his reverie. Assisting on the guest tip, Edie Wellman ties the cut together with a fittingly breezy hook, and J. Timber laces the back with some smooth sung vocals of his own. A catchy cut tailor-made for a summertime smoking session, this is just one of many quality jams set for inclusion on the group’s Party Phoul LP, set to hit online retailers this May.
Boyd Allen Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Way It Goes" (2012)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.