Recently, Phive vocalist Afika Nxumalo took a trip to South Africa, his father’s home country, to reconnect with his family roots. The experience left him with a deep appreciation for Nelson Mandela’s role in the fight against apartheid, and inspired him to pen the North Carolina crew’s latest single, Madliba. Released to commemorate Nelson Mandela Day, the record finds Nxmalo celebrating the ex-President and political activist’s achievements, as well as those of other freedom fighters, over production by Xfactur‘s Jeremiah Albritton. Josh King, Julian Sizemore and Brand New Life provide guest vocals, and an unknown director’s poignant visuals round out the package. Madliba is available now for digital purchase. All proceeds form its sale will go to Gems Girls, a charity dedicated to empowering young women who have experienced commercial sexual exploitation and domestic trafficking.
Written by richard on 07/18/13
Submit your Rating
Boyd Allen Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nothing To Say" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.