Recently, Phive vocalist Afika Nxumalo took a trip to South Africa, his father’s home country, to reconnect with his family roots. The experience left him with a deep appreciation for Nelson Mandela’s role in the fight against apartheid, and inspired him to pen the North Carolina crew’s latest single, Madliba. Released to commemorate Nelson Mandela Day, the record finds Nxmalo celebrating the ex-President and political activist’s achievements, as well as those of other freedom fighters, over production by Xfactur‘s Jeremiah Albritton. Josh King, Julian Sizemore and Brand New Life provide guest vocals, and an unknown director’s poignant visuals round out the package. Madliba is available now for digital purchase. All proceeds form its sale will go to Gems Girls, a charity dedicated to empowering young women who have experienced commercial sexual exploitation and domestic trafficking.
Written by richard on 07/18/13
Boyd Allen Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nothing To Say" (2012)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)