Piling cash to the heavens, having supermodels hanging off your arms, setting your family up for life—all perks of success in the music game, but the true reason behind Phil The Thrill‘s hustle lies elsewhere. More than worldly things, the Virginian-born, ATL-based rhymesayer is motivated by the simple desire to prove himself. As he puts it on his latest mixtape single, “I gotta make it For Me.” Backed by TreeLo‘s swirling synth arpeggios, delayed keys and syncopated drums, the unsigned spitter offers a compelling lyrical account of life on the grind, and the inner conflicts that come with it. For Me is just one of many bangers to be found on Barely Awake II, scheduled for digital release this November.
Written by richard on 10/9/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Scene of a Dream" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.