Piling cash to the heavens, having supermodels hanging off your arms, setting your family up for life—all perks of success in the music game, but the true reason behind Phil The Thrill‘s hustle lies elsewhere. More than worldly things, the Virginian-born, ATL-based rhymesayer is motivated by the simple desire to prove himself. As he puts it on his latest mixtape single, “I gotta make it For Me.” Backed by TreeLo‘s swirling synth arpeggios, delayed keys and syncopated drums, the unsigned spitter offers a compelling lyrical account of life on the grind, and the inner conflicts that come with it. For Me is just one of many bangers to be found on Barely Awake II, scheduled for digital release this November.
Written by richard on 10/9/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Scene of a Dream" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.