Piling cash to the heavens, having supermodels hanging off your arms, setting your family up for life—all perks of success in the music game, but the true reason behind Phil The Thrill‘s hustle lies elsewhere. More than worldly things, the Virginian-born, ATL-based rhymesayer is motivated by the simple desire to prove himself. As he puts it on his latest mixtape single, “I gotta make it For Me.” Backed by TreeLo‘s swirling synth arpeggios, delayed keys and syncopated drums, the unsigned spitter offers a compelling lyrical account of life on the grind, and the inner conflicts that come with it. For Me is just one of many bangers to be found on Barely Awake II, scheduled for digital release this November.
Written by richard on 10/9/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Scene of a Dream" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)