Piling cash to the heavens, having supermodels hanging off your arms, setting your family up for life—all perks of success in the music game, but the true reason behind Phil The Thrill‘s hustle lies elsewhere. More than worldly things, the Virginian-born, ATL-based rhymesayer is motivated by the simple desire to prove himself. As he puts it on his latest mixtape single, “I gotta make it For Me.” Backed by TreeLo‘s swirling synth arpeggios, delayed keys and syncopated drums, the unsigned spitter offers a compelling lyrical account of life on the grind, and the inner conflicts that come with it. For Me is just one of many bangers to be found on Barely Awake II, scheduled for digital release this November.
Written by richard on 10/9/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Scene of a Dream" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.