When a record’s title perfectly summarizes its contents, it makes it kind of impossible to come up with a clever track review intro. Case in point: Phil Nash‘s Hip Hop Ish, a newly-leaked mixtape cut that delivers exactly what it says on the tin: grade-A, unfiltered, lyrically-driven hip-hop from the Motown motormouth who earned reader acclaim for the hyperkinetic Going Up. Veteran DJ Jazzy Jeff‘s old-school boardwork sets a mellow mood, and, fittingly, the emcee comes with slightly less intensity than on his previous feature. Nash’s “laid-back” flow, however, is still worlds faster and more agile than most emcees at their most frantic, and each verse comes so densely-packed with imagery and wordplay that it would take me about an hour to pick one standout line to quote. If you’re thinking that Phil would be a prime candidate for our exclusive freestyle series, we’ve got you covered—he’s already spit entry #78, which will hit our front page next Tuesday. Fans can find this track, Phil’s Booth-exclusive freestyle, and more on Mick Boogie & Dub Floyd present: Phil of the Future Part 2, out August 11th.
Listen to More: Phil Nash
Written by richard on 07/30/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Unstoppable (Regional Remix) ft. Various Artists" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.