If you can squeeze out four stars from a review by Nathan S., you’re doing pretty well for yourself (ask the Shop Boyz about that, if you can find them). In that case Booth-favorite Phil Adé is doing just fine for himself, and judging from what he did last year, we have a lot to look forward to in 2011. From the man who brought listeners The Letterman comes the brand new soulful single, Used to Be. With Jahi Chambers on the boards, sultry female vocals in the background, which true hip-hop heads will recognize from Mos Def’s Ms. Fat Booty, fit right in with a minimalist beat and Adé’s creative style. Lyrically the Freestyle Series alum drops a mouthful on this track, bouncing from what has been to what will come for the up-and-coming talent: “Walking the road to riches, ain’t closing my street..cause when I’m done it won’t be what it used to be.” If Adé’s got you feeling a little reminiscent for the days when hip-hop used to be about more, be sure to keep a lookout for his latest project, A Different World, dropping in April.
Written by Sigurd on 01/30/11
368 Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Gimme Dat" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)