If you can squeeze out four stars from a review by Nathan S., you’re doing pretty well for yourself (ask the Shop Boyz about that, if you can find them). In that case Booth-favorite Phil Adé is doing just fine for himself, and judging from what he did last year, we have a lot to look forward to in 2011. From the man who brought listeners The Letterman comes the brand new soulful single, Used to Be. With Jahi Chambers on the boards, sultry female vocals in the background, which true hip-hop heads will recognize from Mos Def’s Ms. Fat Booty, fit right in with a minimalist beat and Adé’s creative style. Lyrically the Freestyle Series alum drops a mouthful on this track, bouncing from what has been to what will come for the up-and-coming talent: “Walking the road to riches, ain’t closing my street..cause when I’m done it won’t be what it used to be.” If Adé’s got you feeling a little reminiscent for the days when hip-hop used to be about more, be sure to keep a lookout for his latest project, A Different World, dropping in April.
368 Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Gimme Dat" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.